|Behind the Scenes|
The Durlans are a fictional extraterrestrial species, a race of shapeshifting beings from the planet Durla, as depicted in DC Comics.
Durlans are mainly featured in the 30th century time of the Legion of Super-Heroes, but are occasionally found in the present day, as in the Invasion! mini-series in which they take part in the invasion of earth.
Because their shapeshifting ability allows them to mimic other races, most of the galaxy fears and mistrusts the Durlans. It has been shown that their mimicking powers can be destroyed by disease (as in the case of R.J. Brande), and extreme doses of radiation (which happened to Chameleon Boy while on Takron Galtos, but he later had them restored by immersing himself in the energies of an ancient Durlan shrine). Two appearances tend to dominate—skinny orange humanoids with antennae and purple-cloaked masses of green tentacles. They typically return to one of these two forms when caught.
Once an advanced technological society, they destroyed their civilization in a war that lasted six minutes (the "six minute war"). Since this time, Durla has been a wasteland, and its people live in a near-barbaric state, using their shapeshifting ability to survive. A few notable Durlans have escaped the planet and gone on to greater things, including R.J. Brande and Chameleon Boy. Long ago in the past, they visited earth and pretended to be the Greek gods.
They have appeared post Zero Hour and "Threeboot", and the same prejudice against them exhibited in the old continuity is still present, though details of the planet's past have not been revealed or confirmed. One recent Durlan known as Von Daggle has made an appearance in Green Lantern Corps, as the leader of the Corpse, a secret unit founded by a rogue Guardian of the Universe to (in Daggle's words) "do the heavy lifting" (e.g. the dirty work). In the post-52 universe Durlan genetics and technology have been seen as the source of some of the powers of the Chinese team the Great Ten. A Durlan shape-shifter terrorist named Anderson Gaines, appears in Superman/Batman issues 68-69.
One of the members of Vril Dox's R.E.B.E.L.S. is Ciji, a Durlan shape-shifter who looks like a human child.
In The New 52, the Durlans are revealed as a new menace to the Green Lantern Corps starting with issue #21.
- Durlan Physiology: Durlans can shape-shift at any time for any length of time with little limitation on size or shape. As such their physiology is in constant flux, meaning no need to take a single form. The native chosen form was a giant mass of tentacles hidden under robes. By the 30th Century the Durlans were required by the United Planets to have a default form when off world. This form was an orange humanoid with with large eyes and to antenae on the their heads.
- Shape-Shifting: Durlans possesses the ability to transform their body's size, shape and color to mimic any person, creature or object in the universe. A Durlan is able to reconstitute even if they are are reduced to a liquid form.
- Elasticity: Having a malleable form, Durlans can stretch and extend their form despite being in a solid form.
- Enhanced Senses: Durlans can scan objects and/or living forms and store their shape into their brains. Scanning with their antenna takes only a few moments and the Durlan can take that form at any time.
- Mimicry: The Durlans are natural mimic's with most being able to act like the person or animal they have morphed into. They are able to alter their vocal cords to sound like anyone, but is limited to it's own personal knowledge of their language and speech paterns.
- Power Duplication Limitation: Durlans are limited to the physical capabilities of the form he takes. For instance, they cannot gain a Kryptonian's enhanced cells. However, they can fly like a bird and/or sting like a bee.
- Yorggian Fever: is a Durlan desease that can be fatal for some. It freezes the infected Durlan in what ever form they are in at the time. The disease also effect the persons memory, wiping out whole portions of a person life. One of the most famous sufferers is R.J. Brande, he was trapped in human form for many years.
- Cancellite: Artificial chemical which freezes Durlans in the shape they are currently in .