|Sentient||Partially, though largely based on instinct; Many Orks have a natural capacity for all things mechanical, but are for the most part diplomatically illiterate|
Orks are a widespread, humanoid, violent sapient species. They plague many worlds across the galaxy, and, were they to unite, they could easily obliterate all life in the galaxy. This has not been possible, however, due to their warlike nature. The vast majority of species, when they get to a star system other than their own, invariably encounter the Orks.
Ork biology is quite unique: they are a symbiotic fusion of fungus and animal. The animal fights, eats, and moves while the fungus is responsible for reproductive capability. Instead of tedious breeding and excruciating birth, each Ork grows out of the ground from the spores released by orks upon death. Each is genetically encoded with the knowledge of how to build and service a slugga and choppa. "Mekboyz", or mechanics, are genetically encoded with knowledge of heavier (and cooler) weapons, such as the "Zzap! Gun" and "Shokk Attack Gun". This has led to speculation that they were created as some sort of biological weapon for a long forgotten conflict.
Ork culture is centered around combat. This comes out in their speech, they sound like British street thugs, and are thus able to speak with ' 'umies' and part of their language is made up of punching each other. Other oddities in their speech-patterns include the fact they can't pronounce the 'h' at all, and replace the letters 'er' with 'ah', so a gunner turns into a 'gunnah' and a summer turns into a 'summah', they also tend to use the sounds a weapon makes, or its purpose into its name, so any close combat weapon is called a 'choppa' (chopper) since weight, like boxers or wrestlers. A short, slender (for them) ork who has killed many opponents is still subject to a taller, broader Ork who has killed fewer opponents; However, the more fighting an Ork endures, the bigger he gets.
Ork culture revolves around its military, and it appears that it is an Orks instinct to enter into combat, and every ork agrees that there is nothing better than " 'aving a good fight!".
Orks have 'iron stomachs'. They will generally eat their meat raw or in some cases, still alive, and they will eat any mushroom that looks tasty, even the poison ones. They also enjoy a powerful liquor, "fungus beer". Since their fuel is usually ethanol-based, it's safe (for them) to drink.
Orks worship two gods: Gork and Mork. One is the god of Cunning Brutality, the other the god of Brutal Cunning. Nobody (not even the Orks) can tell who is who. Their psychic caste ("weirdboyz") can summon a manifestation of these two, usually a Monty Python-esque foot or hand to crush their enemies. they also have street-preacher analogues called "Yellerz".
The WAAAGH is a gestalt psychic field generated by each Ork, and grows stronger the more orks that are around, and based on how much fighting is occurring. The WAAAGH is a cross between a religious crusade, mass migration, and a giant pub brawl. The psychic field generated by the WAAAGH causes the laws of physics to deteriorate, depending on what the Orks believe. For example, if they believe that vehicles painted red will go faster, the vehicles will indeed go faster. It allows them to create and use weapons that would not work in the hands of any other species, only working if they are in the hands of an Ork. Ork WAAAGHs have been known to swallow entire star systems and clusters, with anywhere between millions to billions of Orks.
- Shoota and Slugga: A pistol or autorifle that fires explosive bullets.
- Choppa: A large battle axe, usually forged from bulkhead plating, but they have been known to steal the fancier close-combat chain and power weapons from other races.
- Burna: A flamethrower that is often used as a tiger-torch by their mechanics, giving it more damage against vehicles.
- Zzap! Gun: A tesla coil-like electricity projector.
- Shokk Attack Gun: A large weapon with an impressive warp disruptor on the end. It is used to fire a stream of a smaller sub-species of orkoid through the warp (Hyperspace, the alternate dimension where Daemons manifest), where they are invariably driven mad with fear. When the beam makes contact with a solid surface, the unfortunate little monster pops back into real-space (much of the time INSIDE the target), flailing and biting, and writhing with extra-dimensional energies.
- Mega Blasta: A crude and unreliable plasma cannon.